Bus ain’t bussin’ it

Lack of bus drivers leads to tardies, stranded students

Adrian Morfin

Bus waits outside Silverado after the bell rings.

Adrian Morfin, Staff Writer

Wake up early and show up late. Sounds crazy and unreal, right? Well, it is reality if you ride the bus for CCSD. 

In fact, one day the bus was two hours late. I could take a bubble bath while making pancakes and walk to school in that time. No, I totally didn’t test this out that day. However, that’s not even the worst part.

Every day, I have a mini boss battle between staying in bed and turning off the alarm, or waking up to get ready and be on time for the bus. Nine times out of ten, I pick the second option. But now I have another battle to fight, and that is predicting The Mighty Mystery Bus and its random appearances. 

It’s either ten minutes early or twenty minutes late, or it never shows up at all. Pigs will learn to fly before the bus comes on time. It’s like a game of Russian roulette, but there’s no winning. The only victory is the hollow satisfaction of being right. 

That’s only the morning ordeal. There’s still the tiring ride home. That is, if the bus even decides to show up. If it doesn’t show up, we have to wait in the blazing Vegas heat for it. At least one time the school provided Otter Pops, which is totally worth the wait.

The Las Vegas Sun cites the problem as a shortage of bus drivers, with CCSD being short ¨about 15 percent this year.¨ Oh well.  I guess I’ll just miss 15% of my English class.

Now the cherry on top of this ¨bussin bus sundae¨ is when you do get scooped up, the bus scoops up two other bus routes because one isn’t enough, right? In the morning it’s not so bad, but in the afternoon it’s like trying to get the golden ticket for Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory but instead, for a bus ride home. Then the bus ride home takes 40 minutes to get home, only to repeat this tiring quest to school again the next day.

This is an adventure to rival Odysseus, or even Percy Jackson. Maybe by the end of the year I’ll take an arrow to the knee, and my grand battles with the bus will be over.