Q & A: Senior Spotlight

Lyons hopes to play college football, study engineering

Courtesy of Derrick Lyons

In Silverado gear, Derrick Lyons enjoys visiting the Raiders training facility.

Kristyann Esteron, Editor in Chief

Kristyann Esteron of the Silverado Star: What are your plans after high school?

Derrick Lyons: My plans for after high school are to study mechanical engineering at a university, at this point, probably at ASU, but I haven’t made a final decision. I would also like to play football for whatever college I go to.

Star: What are you passionate about? What are your interests?

Lyons: I’m passionate about learning. I love learning new things, and I love helping my peers not only to learn things but to understand what they learn. If you ask almost anyone who’s friends with me, they’ll tell you that I’ve either helped them or have offered to help them in whatever they’re struggling with. To further this more, I tutor for Mu Alpha Theta.

Star: What activities do you participate in at Silverado?

Lyons: I participate in Varsity Football, and track and field. I also tutor for Mu Alpha Theta. I also just participate in general school spirit such as going to other sports games, such as volleyball or basketball. 

Star: What kind of work do you do to fulfill your duties in your activities? 

Lyons: I make sure I come to every practice. I have not missed a single practice this year. Even when I was injured and wasn’t able to participate, I came and watched. I watch film at home, so that I can perform my best on Fridays. My dad is also one of the coaches, so we talk non-stop about football. For Mu Alpha Theta, I come to every session I can, although it has been tough since I got injured, but after the season ends, I’ll be able to go to more. As for general school spirit, I just go to all the games I can, and when I go, I make sure they can hear me cheering.

Star: What are you most looking forward to during your senior year?

Lyons: For my senior year, I’m most looking forward to being done. I mean that in an uplifting way, though. Since freshman year, I’ve been on a long journey to set up the rest of my life, and I think I’m ready to see the end of that journey. I’m ready to see what path the rest of my life will be on. I’m not sick and tired of high school. I’m just excited for the future.

Star: If you could give underclassmen advice, what would it be?

Lyons: You may not like school, but put forth your best effort, and work hard now, so you don’t have to work hard later. You don’t want to be meeting with your counselor before your senior year, and learn that you need to take all 8 classes to make up credits so you can graduate. Or worse, you can’t graduate and you need to pay money for a GED, when you could’ve gotten a diploma for free.