SOL club brings Hispanic culture to Silverado

Photo provided by Ms. Reynoso

On Nov. 1-2, the SOL club displayed their altar to honor their loved ones who have passed on.

Rosalyn Esquivel, Reporter

Ruth Reynoso is a math teacher here at Silverado High School, teaching mostly statistics in special education. Reynoso is also advising a student organization, SOL (Student Organization of Latinos). Reynoso wants to help and inspire Latino students to embrace their Latino pride here at school.

With this new club, Reynoso wants to accomplish and encourage Latino students to not be ashamed of who they are.

“This club can help connect with your Hispanic roots,” Reynoso explained. “It is what makes you who you are.” She wants students to be able to express their Latino sides by any means possible. 

Reynoso also wants to bring awareness of the negative press Mexicans sometimes receive. She says there is not enough recognition of the Latino culture suppression, and she does not want to keep silent any longer. 

Reynoso wanted to pursue this club because of the lack of representation. 

“37% of Silverado [students] are Latinos,” she said. “I wanted to have an organization so that they could have a place to feel like they belong.” 

SOL’s recent event brought Latino culture to Silverado, that being Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead.) Club members created an altar, called an “ofrenda,” of loved ones who have crossed over to the land of the dead, displaying pictures of them. 

Not only SOL students were able to place a picture of their loved ones who passed on, but any student was more than welcome to place one of theirs. With a photo of their loved one, students also had the opportunity to place food offerings of what their loved one liked when they were alive. 

Día de los Muertos is celebrated nationally on Nov. 1-2, and could be celebrated anywhere, especially with people of Mexican heritage since the tradition of Dia de los Muertos originated in Mexico.

The officers for SOL were elected this fall: Ivanna Villegas (President), David Peña (Vice-President), Rosy Ramirez (Secretary), Mylu Prada  (Co-Treasurer), Viviana Cruz (Co-Treasurer), and Angelina Ortiz (Social Media Director). 

SOL desires to hold an event of an old school car show here at Silverado on a Saturday. It is not yet approved, but they have hopes of doing so.

The SOL club meets every Thursday after school in room 827, in case you are interested in fulfilling your Latino pride.