Student News Site of Silverado High School

Neena Vazquez

Students practice making different types of “blood” splatter to show different angles for different types of crime scenes.

Forensic Science offers great opportunities

Forensic Science is taught here at Silverado High School by Natasha Eric. It is a three-year course, the first two being regular Forensic Ⅰ and Ⅱ then Ⅲ. Right now I am in Forensic Ⅰ, which has changed my perspective on life and has made me smarter.

Ever since I found out Silverado had a forensics program, I wanted to be in it. Unfortunately, when I applied my freshman year, I didn’t get in. I then tried sophomore year and again was disappointed. In my junior year, I finally got into that class, and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve always had an interest in forensic science. I would watch videos, shows and movies about it. So, taking this class, I knew I would become smarter and be intrigued throughout the year since there’s so much I can learn about. 

Taking this course has made me realize things about the world I didn’t before, and it has made me a smarter student overall. Whenever I’m reading something or see a video about a case, I know many of the words they are talking about, and I’m not as clueless as I was a year ago. It’s made me realize all those crime shows and movies aren’t as accurate as they appear to be. People in shows walk around a crime scene like there’s no crucial evidence there. In a real crime scene, every person there has a job. This is called the 7’s: Secure the scene by police, separate the witnesses by police, scan the scene by police, see the scene by a forensic photographer, sketch the scene by police, search for evidence done by CSI, and finally, secure and collecting evidence done by CSI. I know a ton more about that specialty than I did before, so whenever they mention something like direct or circumstantial evidence, I understand what it means. This makes learning about it all the more interesting.

“Forensics offers students an opportunity to develop research, critical thinking, organization, persuasion, and oral communication skills,” reads an article from pbs.org on how studying forensics benefits students, based on research by James Madison University.

The researchers also discuss about how this program provides a variety of useful career preparation. Learning about the topic you’re interested in as a future career is very beneficial to young minds. Taking forensic science can prepare you for law, education, politics, broadcasting, religion, public affairs, business, and other professions requiring critical thinking and communication skills. 

I thoroughly enjoy this class, and the people in it don’t affect me. Up until two months ago, I didn’t talk to anyone and sat alone, but now, my seat has changed, and I’ve met some amazing people. Since it is my first year taking this class, there is a majority of freshmen. I don’t mind it, but having younger minds with me, I can teach them stuff about high school or give some advice. I will definitely be taking this class next year and will cherish every moment since it’s my last year in high school. I’m glad I chose to take this class because I have been picking up many social skills and understanding topics better.  

The Silverado Star • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Silverado Star Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *