Distance learning brings changes to Silverado’s fall schedule

Silverado High School online for the first half of school year

Kiara Adams, Co-Editor in Chief

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the lives of many, One thing that has changed dramatically is how school operates. We can no longer have 40+ kids in a classroom, or fit the entire school into the gym. With these new circumstances, Silverado admin and CCSD had to make adjustments to school as we knew it. 

“In moving to an online platform and not knowing how long we’re going to be doing distance learning in this capacity, we felt that it was going to be an easier situation and less stressful on students to only be taking six classes instead of eight.” said Silverado Principal Jamie Ditto.

The switch in the number of classes is one of the biggest changes for students. This change has created scheduling conflicts for students who usually had eight classes for extra flexibility. Another big change that has gone into effect is Wednesday classes.

Usually Wednesdays were a regular school day where students would go to their designated classes. Now with the new schedule there are A days where students go to periods 1,3, and 5 on Mondays and Thursdays. As well as B days where students go to periods 2,4, and 6 on Tuesdays and Fridays. These days don’t change so you always know what classes you should be taking just depending on the day of the week. 

Wednesdays are now set aside for students to accomplish work and schedule meetings with their teachers if they need additional help outside of the live sessions. Many students were confused about the new change, but as the weeks have gone on students have understood that Wednesdays are there to help them.

“I think it is an absolute great opportunity to meet one-on-one or in small groups with your teacher,” said Principal Ditto, “Students have to take advantage of that. It’s not new learning, it is an opportunity for students to get clarification or have teachers go over things.”

Some students have enjoyed the extra freedom that Wednesday classes have given them.

“I love being able to sleep in and just catch up on work,” said senior Allison Wiegand, “It is really helping me with my classes.” 

For other students they are enjoying it but also wishing for some clarification.

“I feel like teachers need to be more clear on if they want us to go or not. No one was sure if my math teacher wanted us to go or not and it turns out we had a test to prepare for.” said junior Abby Race

There are many factors that online learning is dependent upon one of them being how the weather is or if everything is working either at the school for teachers or at home for students.

“Online learning is going as good as it possibly can. Some days are better than others, but overall we’re getting better each day and that’s all we can hope for right now,” Said Principal Ditto, “Online learning can only be as good as you make it so you have to communicate with your teachers. In a classroom, teachers can tell if you are lost or needing a little extra help. With online learning we can’t do that so now it is up to the student to reach out.”

Although we are all online, connections between teachers and students are still being made day by day and we’re all in the same boat.

“What I’m most excited about is that there is still this sense of community. We’re still here together in some capacities, this has brought us closer together as a staff and allowed us to lean on one another,” said Principal Ditto, “I hope that is extending to students as well. Regardless of how far apart we are we can still be connected.”