Netflix features plenty binge-worthy shows

3 shows focusing on teens recommended

Geena Donnelly, Staff Writer

So as we are all still technically stuck in quarantine, the only other activity to do besides online school is definitely watching the streaming service Netflix. But the question is, what is there to watch? Well, first you gotta ask yourself what your favorite genre is–action, drama, comedy, sci fi, reality etc. 

The first show I highly recommend if you like drama and mystery is “Outer Banks.” A teenager enlists three best friends to hunt for a legendary treasure linked to his father’s disappearance. The series is designed to give us ’80s beach movie nostalgia mixed in with mystery, romance and adventure. The friends band together and create the group called the “Pogues.”

With John B (played by Chase Stokes), Sarah Cameron (played by Madelyn Cline), JJ (played by Rudy Pankow), Kiara (played by Madison Bailey) and finally Pope (played by Jonathan Daviss), I’d rate this a 9 out of 10. I felt that they really got me hooked on what comes next. I’d definitely recommend this show to watch.

If you are bored with that show and not interested in mystery, there is also action you can look forward to. That’s found in “Umbrella Academy” with a family of siblings with superpowers. The seven siblings were former heroes until they have endured their personal traumas. Now grown apart, they must reunite to protect the world from destruction.

The show stars Vanya Hargreeves (played by Ellen Page), Luther Hargreeves (played by Tom Hopper), Diego Hargreeves (played by David Castaneda), Allison Hargreeves (played by Emmy Raver-Lampman), Klaus Hargreeves (played by Robert Sheehan), Number Five (played by Aidan Gallagher), and Ben Hargreeves (played by Justin H. Min). In this action-packed superhero series, we have this family who is trying to prevent the end of the world from happening. In this case, I would rate this show an 8 out of 10. It has a good amount of action and weirdness impacted in this.

The third show I highly suggest giving a chance is “Never Have I Ever.” This comedy focuses on an Indian teenage girl going through the motions of high school while losing her father at the same time. Her name is Devi Vishwa (played by Maitreyi Ramakrishnan), with her mother Nalini Vishwa (played by Poorna Jagannathan) and their cousin Kamala (played by Richa Moorijani). Taken into their Indian culture, we see a laughable look at how high school is going for Devi. This show is pretty funny, in my opinion. If you just want to laugh and forget about everything, this is the show I’d recommend you watch.

Bottom line is there are many shows you should give a try, especially since we are still going through this pandemic. No matter what you like, Netflix is definitely the way to go.