Teens binge watch plenty of popular shows during pandemic

Favorites include ‘Riverdale,’ ‘Stranger Things’

Samarrah Shoroye, Reporter

Since the school shutdown last March and everything else in 2020, most teens have had plenty of time to binge watch new TV shows and movies. Research says many teens use screens for about seven and a half hours. What are they doing? What are they watching?

A group of teenage girls interviewed, varying from ages 13 to 16, said they liked TV shows such as  “Parks and Recreation,” “Psych,” “Jack Ryan” and “Once Upon a Time” because they are fun to watch with family and  friends. Ayo Shoroye, an eighth grade student from Somerset Academy, said that his favorite TV shows and movies so far include “24,” “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist,” “Aquaman” and “Hamilton.”

“They make me happy and  are entertaining to watch,” Shoroye said.

The top TV shows for teens this year include “Riverdale,” a show based on the Archie comics. It’s about a group of high schoolers who become dedicated to solving the mystery of one of their classmate’s death, but they also start to uncover secrets about their small town.

Another show on the top of the list would be “Stranger Things.” Set in the 1980s, the first season is about a young boy who disappears because of otherworldly events happening in the small town of Hawkins, Indiana, including the appearance of a young girl with strange abilities.

“The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” is based on the comics that have the same name, and it is closely related to the ‘90s show, “Sabrina the Teenage Witch.” Set in the fictional town of Greendale, Sabrina Spellman must choose between her two sides, witch and mortal. With her family and her friends by her side, Sabrina might be able to balance both of her worlds.

“13 Reasons Why” revolves around high schooler Clay Jensen as well as the effects of the sudden loss of another student, Hannah Baker, and the 13 cassette tapes she left behind explaining why she chose to end her life and the people she believes are responsible.

There are plenty of great movies out there, but one top one is “The Kissing Booth.” High school student Elle Evans and her best friend Lee Flynn have a set of rules that ensures friendship forever, including that Lee’s older brother, Noah, is off limits. But when Elle is face to face with him at her and Noah’s kissing booth, she’s not sure if she can follow that rule.

The classic teen movie “Mean Girls” is all about 16-year-old Cady Heron who is attending public school for the first time after living in Africa her whole life. All of a sudden, she is a part of the elite trio called the plastics and forgets who she really is until she learns how shallow her new group of friends can be.

The Harry Potter movies and book series are very popular among everybody, not just teens. Harry Potter is the name of a boy who is the son of two powerful wizards and survived the series main villain as an infant, although he doesn’t know that he is a wizard until he is older. The series follows Harry and his two best friends, Ron and Hermione, as they have many adventures together. 

Another great classic, “The Breakfast Club,” is about five high school students from different crowds. A jock, a rebel, high school royalty, an outcast and a brain each have a chance to get to know the others a bit better, and at the end of the day, they wonder if school will be the same.

TV shows and movies are a great way to take a break from it all. There are plenty out there to inspire us, make us happy, make us cry, and make us scared, too.